Next generation antivirus is called end point protection and goes beyond the tradition reactive response to known antivirus files which is to quarantine the files. It is preferred as a protection against malicious attacks
Additional features of end point protection may include:
- Central management of agents
- Central logging of client alerts and events
- Automated analysis of individual events
- Pro-active identification of indicators of attack
- Identification of malicious files and preventing them from execution, including viruses, trojans, ransomware, spyware, crypto miners.
If you do not have next generation end point protection, Microsoft Defender provides good detection in the antivirus space.