How your unit approaches completion of the assessment is up to you. Some units may choose to have all respondents meet together to complete the assessment, others may decide to have each respondent login to the assessment tool separately and complete the section for which they are responsible. Depending on the size and complexity of your organization, completing the DAI-IRSA may involve one or two people or a larger number from the different functional groups represented in your unit.
Tips for Conducting a Successful Assessment
- Assign one person to be responsible for organizing meetings or collecting and compiling responses.
- Set aside no more than 2 – 3 hours to complete the Data Asset Inventory and priority assessment questions.
- Review the 2020/21 priority questions and identify and involve those responsible in the various risk areas. For 2020/21 we are asking units to respond to these questions at a minimum. You are welcome to assess any other questions in the framework if your unit wishes to start tracking those this cycle.
- Review and have your team review the training resources on this website. Attend a workshop or drop-in session.
- Focus on those data assets and information risk areas that are essential to the operation of your unit. If time is an issue, start with the priority questions, and review the other questions for relevance to your area.
- Reach out to the DAI-IRSA Program Team for help & guidance when you need it.
When you are ready to get started, complete the DAI-IRSA Tools Registration form to access the inventory and assessment tools.